Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Bible reading

Recently I had the “privilege” to be able to sit down and take a four hour written exam. I spent several hours preparing for it, sweating over it, trying to recall and relearn a wide variety of subjects, some of which I have not really examined since discussing them in a class. Through this I realized that I like so many others have really picked certain parts of Scripture and really focused on them. Now not all people pick the same part. I am fond Old Testament history because it is full of stories and people that we can relate to. We can read about their lives and we see connections within ourselves. I find that to be wonderful. It also shows me how God has worked through out the ages. For some, I know they prefer gospels, they want the words of Jesus and they dedicate their lives to researching those books. In my fellowship, several people focus only on Paul and only study and teach his letters. This habit of limiting ourselves to one area over another is a weakness. If I only look at the Old Testament, how do I find what God wants me to do today? I am certain that if you thing about it, you find that you also have favorite sections or topics that you study over and over. But when we do that are we letting Scripture really influence our life? We are told that, “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and the training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work” (2 Tim 3:16-17). That is how Scripture is supposed to be in our lives. It is supposed to equip us by teaching, correcting and training us. But also it is supposed to be “All Scripture” that means the entire Bible is useful. A favorite line of mine is, Scripture was not written to all of us, but was for all of to use. I ask if you have not been taking time to read the Bible daily, start now. Read a chapter of each testament a day. Allow yourself to be in the Word everyday and watch how your time with the Lord grows.

No comments:

Post a Comment