Thursday, November 17, 2011

Be Still

Last night, I was able to go out hunting for the first time. It was a beautiful evening, cold, crisp, and clear. While I did not see any deer, I was able to spend the time with my pastor discussing not only nature but also church issues. Sitting out there surrounded by all that nature it gave me lots of time to think and reflect. This is perhaps one of the reasons I love hiking and fishing so much. It is a time for me to get away from the world and spend time surrounded by God’s creation.


I find that the time I can spend being alone, away from my computer, television, and other distractions the more I can focus on praising God. This time of the year it seems really easy to focus on God. In a couple of weeks we celebrate Thanksgiving then throughout December we focus on Christmas. But what about the rest of the year? How do we take time to praise him?


Psalm 46:10 tells us to “Be still and know that I am God.” That simple task is such an important one. So often that we allow ourselves to be wrapped up in the events and day to day distractions that we often stop to pause to be still. I know for myself, when I sat there last night, watching the sunset, seeing the colors in the sky. I knew that there was a God, who created all things. In that time, I spent in awe as I was still and knew that God was God.


I would urge everyone to take time to be still. Find a way to see God in world. He is consistently showing himself to us. Let us marvel at his awesomeness as we take time to “Be still.”

No comments:

Post a Comment