Thursday, October 6, 2011

What is Love?

Love is a wonderful word. It is permeated in our society. The vast majority of music, poetry, stories, and art are based in the theme of love. In pop music we find all types of love situations. One can be “all out of love” or for some “all you need is love.” Love can even be “more than a feeling.” It is something that we all crave. We all desire to be loved. That is why little girls dream of princes and princesses, there is a simple theme of love overcoming in those fairytales. Yet, when you listen to most of the songs and read the stories, this love is very shallow. There is no depth to it. Even Christians today, seem to turn love into a simple slogan “love wins” which is popular to see on the backs of cars where I live. 
But is this really all love is, a simple feeling, that can be changed depending on the day? I don’t think so. Love seems to be something deeper. Something that endures, that last.  After all, scripture says, “ Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.  It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres (1 Corinthians 13:4-7).
So than what is love? The Bible says this about a man without love in 1 Corinthians 13:1-3: If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don't love, I'm nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate. If I speak God's Word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, "Jump," and it jumps, but I don't love, I'm nothing. If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love. (Message)
Earlier this year, I was able to celebrate an important milestone in my life. I was able to celebrate ten years of marriage with my wife. We marked this wonderful time by renewing our vows. I realized during this time just how lucky of a man I was. I was able to declare twice to my friends and family, that I love my wife. From my marriage, I have realize that love is not just this grand feeling. It is not a slogan. Sometimes love hurts, yet it endures. In ten years, my marriage has been great, soaring among the clouds, and at other times, not so much. Just like life, sometimes the ride is fun, and other times the ride is work. Even so, when I looked into my wife’s eyes during our renewal, I knew I loved her more than I could ever describe. It was at this moment, I realized that I am richer than I could ever guess. Yes, love is wonderful. 
So I ask you, where are you at. Have you been living a life that is rich, full of love? Or, are you living a life where you seem to be doing everything, yet  seem empty?

No comments:

Post a Comment