Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Praying

Pray without ceasing. You know the times I find that I do the most constant prayer is during my commute to the office. It is usually a frustrating drive, with people constantly forgetting about things like turn signals or randomly hitting their brakes on the highway. I have found that I get by easier when I am constantly praying. I pray for things like safety, protection, praise that no one is getting hurt. Some times, I even pray for justice, or prevention, when I see someone speeding, weaving in and out of traffic. But the point is that it seems so easy to pray while I am driving because of the stress. 
It also seems so easy to pray when I am in times of trouble. When jobs are lost, families are broken, arguments occur. I find that is when I hit the floor on my knees and pray. But  what about when things are well. When nothing is going on? I have found that to be when I have to force myself to pray. I actually set aside specific time just for prayer. Why is it so much harder to just praise God for all the good things? I cannot help but think that it is because when things are going good in our life, we start to forget how much we need him. 
Paul teaches that: “Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus” (1 Thessalonians 5:16-17).
I ask that we remember that we need to pray not just when we need something from God, but also to remember that he is our Lord and deserves our praises for all things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment