Friday, March 11, 2011

Birthday

Yesterday was my birthday, I turned 33.  One of my favorite things to do on my birthday is to reflect where I have been during my life and where am I going with my life.  I find it refreshing to examine the direction that my life has taken, and how my plans have worked out.  However, looking back, I find that many of my plans have changed, as I have changed. I must admit that my life is so much greater than I ever dreamed it would be. I have a beautiful wife, 2 wonderful children, and a passion for Christ that 10 years ago, I never would of dreamed of. 



My wife has a favorite verse that I think explains this principle the best: 
A person may plan his own journey, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9 (God’s Word).


My own plan was to play it safe. I planned on raising my family working a blue collar job, but that did not work out. God called me to a different life. I felt he was calling me to work as an outreach pastor, dealing with at risk youth, and adults at the fringes of society.  While I was confident in that plan. It was not God’s plan. I wanted to play it safe, but an associate pastor of a larger church, focusing only on reaching out.  However, God led me to consider moving into a pastor of a small church, where I could use my desire, but also teach, and shepherd a flock. While that idea scared me, I have been blessed with the opportunity to do pulpit fill in, as well as get to know people with in churches.  I must admit, I love it. God’s plan was so much greater than my own. Just as it has been in the past. 


As I look to the future I will be honest, I have a plan of what I would like to do and where I would like to be. But I know that God is in control whatever He has planned for my family and me will be so much greater than any plans I have. 


So, perhaps you are like me and need to have an action plan, remember God will direct your steps. Just trust him. His way is better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment