Monday, March 14, 2011

Better Left Unknown

Last week, I was able to go with my son's class to tour the Hudsonville Ice Cream plant. As we were walking through the plant, the guide was really taking the mystery out of how ice cream is made. Including the fact that a container of ice cream is 50% air. It was also interesting to see and smell the chocolate that was used in making chocolate flavors.  Over all it was a wonderful experience, especially when we were able to taste some.  In the tasting room there was a painted mural with animals making and enjoying ice cream. One of the panels was Other Yummy Stuff.  It included the phrase "whatever the stuff to make blue moon yummy." That phrase got me thinking, especially since I am a huge fan of SuperScoop ice cream and blue moon is a flavor in that, do I really want to know some of my favorite foods are made?


I already know how hotdogs and sausages are made that was no mystery to someone growing up around hunters and farms like I did.  However, how do they make snack cakes that never go bad? Or, what makes my diet soda actually taste good?  Also, I tend to think of myself as a foodie, I love to cook and eat good food. However, after watching shows like No Reservations I don't think I could eat the things he does, knowingly.  However, if you put it on a plate before me and said enjoy. I probably would after all, I love trying new foods. 


While thinking about this, I started to wonder about science and faith.  I am a believer that science shows us how God works. It reaffirms my faith rather than makes me doubt. I look at the human body and realize how it all works together to keep us alive and I call that a miracle. I look at the heavens and am in awe by God. I look at Niagara Falls and I marvel at the Creator of the Universe.  I also look at Bible, and how people viewed science.  Throughout the book of Isaiah, it is written that the Lord sends rain from heaven. There is a view of the sun rising and falling moving around the world, not the world moving. Yet, they attribute everything to God and to his doing. I cannot help but to think they had more faith and were better off not knowing after all, Hebrews 11:1-3 say, "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. For by it the people of old received their commendation. By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible." I ask you, would it really be faith if we knew all the answers? Perhaps like with the blue moon ice cream, we should just say it is good, and leave it a mystery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment