Thursday, December 1, 2011

Active and Living Scripture


One of my favorite pastimes is reading. There are several stories which I have read several times. When I reread a book I try to read it from another characters perspective. By doing this I see things in the book that I did not notice the first time. This allows for deeper appreciation for the story and the work that the author did. 
I mention the above because as I continue to read Scripture I often notice that I find little details or things that I missed before. Recently this occurred as I was reading the Noah narrative.  This is a story that I would describe as knowing fairly well, I have told it to my children and read it several times. Yet, I still found a couple of things that caught my interest. One is the fact that there is described as clean and unclean animals for Noah (Gen 7:2). This is long before we get the food laws. The second is the covenant not to destroy the Earth, was not to not destroy man, but not to punish the Earth for man’s wickedness (Gen 8:21). I know these are both small details that do not change God’s plan, but I still find it exciting that no matter how many times I read God’s word I can find  new phrases, challenges, and wisdom. 
I find that it is remarkable that Scripture is alive and active (Heb 4:12). However, it is only effective if we make time to read and study God’s Word. I know many people call the Bible Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth and that is a good sentiment. All we need to know about love, redemption, ethics, morals, and almost every other issue of life can be found within its pages. As you read scripture take time to study it, ask questions, explore. I promise you will be amazed at what you will discover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment