Thursday, September 29, 2011

Advancing the Gospel

When I tell others my testimony, I love to watch their reactions. Most people who know who I am after Christ, are shocked to hear about who I was preChrist. Perhaps you have a story like that where the change is drastic. Or perhaps you are like some of my friends who have always known Christ and can share with the hardships they faced for being in Christ. For some of you the hardship and trials of life is occurring now. The common thread in all of these situations is that we all have stories about our lives and how God has worked in them. 
I find it interesting when I look at the life of Paul. Paul was a Pharisee, a Jew among Jews, who knew scripture (Galatians 1:14). However, Paul was called to suffer for God, and to be a light to the Gentiles (Acts 9:15-16). I find this remarkable, that God knew that Paul would suffer. Perhaps there is a lesson here, that sometimes we need to suffer, or have heartaches, that there is a purpose, we are to learn something. Paul demonstrates to us a great principle in Philippians 1:12-18. In these six verses we find that Paul gives credit for all that has happened to him was to advance the gospel and because of what has happened to him many are coming to Christ. That is so important for us to remember. 
I had a friend who said after she lost her leg to illness, “why not me.” Her attitude greatly helped those who were struggling with issues with illness, and why would God allow that suffering. By hearing her perspective, it made people realize who they are in relation to who God is.  God has brought each of us from somewhere to be a blessing to others. So rejoice that God will use what ever situation we are in to help the gospel advance. God is faithful. He will stay true to his purpose, and guidance.  May the God who guides, protects, calms, and encourages, continue to encourage and give us peace as we realize that what has happened to us, serves to advance the gospel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment